Friday, August 09, 2019

Unwrap Him And Let Him Go!


Unwrap Him
And
Let Him Go!
Scripture
John 11
21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died.

22 But even now I know that God will give you whatever you ask.”
23 Jesus told her, “Your brother will rise again.”
24 “Yes,” Martha said, “he will rise when everyone else rises, at the last day.”
25 Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.
26 Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die. Do you believe this, Martha?”

27 “Yes, Lord,” she told him. “I have always believed you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one who has come into the world from God.”
38 Jesus was still angry as he arrived at the tomb, a cave with a stone rolled across its entrance. 
39 “Roll the stone aside,” Jesus told them.
But Martha, the dead man’s sister, protested, “Lord, he has been dead for four days. The smell will be terrible.”
40 Jesus responded, “Didn’t I tell you that you would see God’s glory if you believe?”
 41 So they rolled the stone aside. Then Jesus looked up to heaven and said, “Father, thank you for hearing me.
 42 You always hear me, but I said it out loud for the sake of all these people standing here, so that they will believe you sent me.”
 43 Then Jesus shouted, “Lazarus, come out!” 
44 And the dead man came out, his hands and feet bound in graveclothes, his face wrapped in a headcloth. Jesus told them, “Unwrap him and let him go!”
Observation
And the dead man came out, his hands and feet bound in graveclothes, his face wrapped in a headcloth, Jesus told them, “Unwrap him and let him go!”
Close your eyes and visualize the scene. Can you see Lazarus, hopping out of that tomb, still wrapped up in graveclothes and standing before Jesus!
So you might wonder why this story is one of my all-time favorite Bible stories … and why I share it at just about every funeral service I have the opportunity to officiate. Well, this miracle, I believe is recorded in the Bible so that we can be totally confident that Jesus Christ has power over death.
Lazarus had been dead 4 days. His body was decomposing. His sister Martha didn't want to roll the stone away from the tomb because she knew that her brother's body would be badly decomposed and the smell would be terrible. Yes, Jesus had waited until Lazarus was good and dead before He came to raise him back to life!
One day I am going to die and so are you! The moment that I breathe my last breath here on earth, I know with complete confidence, is the very moment that I will begin living forever in Heaven with Jesus Christ.
How about you? Do you know where you will spend eternity when you die?
Application
I know for certain that Jesus has victory over death!
How about you?
Romans 8:10-11
10 And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God. 

11 The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you.
Prayer

Heavenly Father, Romans 8:37-39 and 1 Corinthians 15:54-57 is my prayer back to You today,
No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
For our dying bodies must be transformed into bodies that will never die; our mortal bodies must be transformed into immortal bodies. Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die, this Scripture will be fulfilled: Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” For sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power. But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 3,4; John 11



No comments: