Sunday, August 25, 2019

There Was No Water In The Cistern, But There Was A Thick Layer Of Mud At The Bottom, And Jeremiah Sank Down Into It.


There Was No Water In The Cistern,
But There Was A Thick Layer Of Mud At The Bottom,
And Jeremiah Sank Down Into It.
Scripture
Jeremiah 38
So the officials took Jeremiah from his cell and lowered him by ropes into an empty cistern in the prison yard. It belonged to Malkijah, a member of the royal family. There was no water in the cistern, but there was a thick layer of mud at the bottom, and Jeremiah sank down into it.

But Ebed-melech the Ethiopian, an important court official, heard that Jeremiah was in the cistern. At that time the king was holding court at the Benjamin Gate,
 so Ebed-melech rushed from the palace to speak with him. 
“My lord the king,” he said, “these men have done a very evil thing in putting Jeremiah the prophet into the cistern. He will soon die of hunger, for almost all the bread in the city is gone.”
10 So the king told Ebed-melech, “Take thirty of my men with you, and pull Jeremiah out of the cistern before he dies.”
Observation

Prophet Jeremiah was God's spoke person. Jeremiah walked in a close relationship with God. Even though both of these things were true that didn't exclude Jeremiah from suffering for God. And if you are a child of God then you too are going to experience suffering.
Can you imagine what it was like for Jeremiah? He was lowered down into a well and sank into the mud at the bottom. And He was left standing in thick mud that was at the bottom of the well.
I can only imagine what was going through his mind while he was down in the well surrounded by nothing but mud and darkness. And this wasn't the first time that Jeremiah had suffered just because he was God's prophet.
Our suffering is promised in Scripture, so it should not come as a surprise to us when we find ourselves in a pit, sinking in the mud, and waiting on God to rescue us!
James 5:10
For examples of patience in suffering, dear brothers and sisters, look at the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.
2 Timothy 3:12
Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
Romans 8:17-18
And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering. Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later.
2 Corinthians 4:10
Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.
Philippians 1:29
For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him.
Colossians 1:24
I am glad when I suffer for you in my body, for I am participating in the sufferings of Christ that continue for his body, the church.
James 5:13
Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises.
Application
When I am in the pit, knee-deep in the mud of despair, I will look up and I will pray to my God and He will rescue me.
How about you? What will you do when you experience suffering?
1 Peter 2:21
For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps.
1 Peter 4:1
So then, since Christ suffered physical pain, you must arm yourselves with the same attitude he had, and be ready to suffer, too. For if you have suffered physically for Christ, you have finished with sin.
1 Peter 4:19
So if you are suffering in a manner that pleases God, keep on doing what is right, and trust your lives to the God who created you, for he will never fail you.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I know that You have not promised me a pain-free life. In fact, You have told me over and over again that while I am in this world I will experience pain, suffering, and trouble. But You have also promised me that You have overcome this world. I know how this story ends, Lord. I know that You have a plan to prosper me. This world is not my home. I am just passing through.
I pray for those who are experiencing pain and suffering today. Give them strength. Help them to hold on to every one of Your promises!
Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 37,38,39; Psalms 79; 2 John



No comments: