Friday, August 16, 2019

As Jesus Said, “I Am He,” They All Drew Back And Fell To The Ground!


As Jesus Said,
I Am He,”
They All Drew Back And Fell To The Ground!
Scripture
John 18
1 After saying these things, Jesus crossed the Kidron Valley with his disciples and entered a grove of olive trees. 

2 Judas, the betrayer, knew this place, because Jesus had often gone there with his disciples. 

3 The leading priests and Pharisees had given Judas a contingent of Roman soldiers and Temple guards to accompany him. Now with blazing torches, lanterns, and weapons, they arrived at the olive grove.

4 Jesus fully realized all that was going to happen to him, so he stepped forward to meet them. “Who are you looking for?” he asked.
“Jesus the Nazarene,” they replied.
I am he,” Jesus said. (Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them.) 
6 As Jesus said “I am he,” they all drew back and fell to the ground! 
7 Once more he asked them, “Who are you looking for?”
And again they replied, “Jesus the Nazarene.”
8 “I told you that I am he,” Jesus said. “And since I am the one you want, let these others go.”
Observation

John 18, describes the arrest of Jesus Christ, and for me, it is one of the most powerful passages in all of the Bible!
Picture the scene with me, Judas has come with Roman soldiers and Temple guards to arrest Jesus.
Exactly how many soldiers came with Judas we don't know exactly, but they came with blazing torches, lanterns, and weapons.
Jesus steps forward to meet them and asks them, “Who are you looking for?” to which they reply, “Jesus the Nazarene!”
Don't miss this! When Jesus says, “I Am he”, they “all” fall back and fall to the ground! With all their blazing torches, lanterns, and weapons they all fall back and fall to the ground!
This story is a reminder to me that in the future every knee will bow to the Lord Jesus.
That is why God has now lifted him so high, and has given him the name beyond all names, so that at the name of Jesus “every knee shall bow”, whether in Heaven or earth or under the earth. And that is why, in the end, “every tongue shall confess” that Jesus Christ” is the Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Philippians 2:10-11
Application
Jesus is in charge! And one day He will set everything straight in this messed up world.
Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know without a shadow of a doubt that You are 100% in charge of what happens in my life. I am so glad that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. One day You will come as Judge. And I know that ultimately one day every person will bow to the Lord Jesus. In the end, every person will bow to their knees and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. I am so grateful that I will not have to face You to be judged for my sins. I have been pardoned! You will not hold them against me!
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Kings 24; Jeremiah 22; Psalms 112; John 18



No comments: