Sunday, August 04, 2019

There's A Young Boy Here With Five Barley Loaves And Two Fish. But What Good Is That With This Huge Crowd? John 6


There's A Young Boy Here With Five Barley Loaves And Two Fish.
But
What Good Is That With This Huge Crowd?
Scripture
John 6
There’s a young boy here with five barley loaves and two fish. But what good is that with this huge crowd?”
10 “Tell everyone to sit down,” Jesus said. So they all sat down on the grassy slopes. (The men alone numbered about 5,000.) 
11 Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks to God, and distributed them to the people. Afterward he did the same with the fish. And they all ate as much as they wanted. 
12 After everyone was full, Jesus told his disciples, “Now gather the leftovers, so that nothing is wasted.”
13 So they picked up the pieces and filled twelve baskets with scraps left by the people who had eaten from the five barley loaves.
Observation
What is the lesson that God wants me to see in this miracle called the “Feeding of the 5,000”? There is a real danger, at least for me, of reading these well known Bible stories and not thinking about much about it because I know the story so well. Maybe that happens to you too!
So what is God saying to me today through this miraculous feeding of the five thousand?
Here it is: Jesus is enough! He will sustain me. He is the Bread of Life! All that I need, Jesus will provide. He will take whatever I have and He will multiply it, as long as I make it available to Him.
Application
I put all that I have at Jesus' disposal. I give it all to Him.
How about you? Are you holding on to something too tightly?
Luke 6:38
38 Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.
Mark 12:41-43
41 Jesus sat down near the collection box in the Temple and watched as the crowds dropped in their money. Many rich people put in large amounts.

42 Then a poor widow came and dropped in two small coins.

43 Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, don't let the stories I read each day in Your Word get commonplace to me where I miss what You want me to see. Help me always remember that having Jesus in my life is enough. He is everything that I need. Help me to be generous with all that You have given us. Don't let me be stingy. You have blessed us so much.
Psalm 23:1
The Lord is my shepherd;
    I have all that I need.
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Kings 22; 2 Chronicles 34; John 6



No comments: