Saturday, August 17, 2019

They Saw That He Was Already Dead, So They Didn't Break His Legs. One Of The Soldiers, However, Pierced His Side With A Spear, And Immediately Blood And Water Flowed Out.


They Saw That He Was Already Dead, So They Didn't Break His Legs.
One Of The Soldiers, However, Pierced His Side With A Spear,
And Immediately Blood And Water Flowed Out.
Scripture
John 19
32 So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the two men crucified with Jesus.
33 But when they came to Jesus, they saw that he was already dead, so they didn’t break his legs.
34 One of the soldiers, however, pierced his side with a spear, and immediately blood and water flowed out.
35 (This report is from an eyewitness giving an accurate account. He speaks the truth so that you also may continue to believe.)
36 These things happened in fulfillment of the Scriptures that say, “Not one of his bones will be broken,”
37 and “They will look on the one they pierced.”
Observation
To be perfectly honest, I don't like reading about the crucifixion of Jesus. I watched the movie, “The Passion of the Christ” once and I don't care to watch it again. It was a powerful movie, but it was too real for me.
And as much as I don't like to read about what Jesus went through to pay the penalty for my sins I know that it was His horrific excruciating death that has set me free from sin.
Plus as I read John 19 this morning I read it knowing that tomorrow I will read John 20 and I know that Jesus did not stay buried in a tomb.
Everything that Jesus went through when He allowed Himself to be arrested, then tortured and ridiculed, and finally put to death on a cross, He did all of that for me.
But He didn't die this horrific death just for me, no, He suffered and died for you too!
Have you placed your trust in Him as Lord and Savior?
Do you believe?
Application
I am so glad that I know the end of the story and I am so grateful for what Jesus Christ did on the cross for me.
How about you? Do you know Him?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, You know how hard it is for me to read the account of the crucifixion. I am so grateful that You allowed Yourself to experience suffering and death and You did it for me. You didn't have to suffer. You did it for me. Thank You for taking the penalty of my sins and nailing them to the cross. Thank You for the freedom I have in Christ.
Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 23,24,25; John 19



No comments: